Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Published at www.mcpcily.com beginning on July 13, 2020
ORDINANCE NO. 3338
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF MCPHERSON, KANSAS AMENDING CHAPTER 10, ARTICLE I, SECTION 3 OF THE CODE OF THE CITY OF MCPHERSON, KANSAS REGARDING ESTABLISHING THE ALLOWANCE OF, AND REGULATIONS FOR, THE KEEPING OF LIVESTOCK WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS.
WHEREAS, the keeping of livestock within the City limits can create a nuisance and a safety hazard;
WHEREAS, there is no current provision of the Code of the City of McPherson addressing livestock kept within the City; and
WHEREAS, the governing body of the City believes it is in the best interest of the City to amend the City Code to provide for when and how livestock may be kept in the City.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE CITY OF MCPHERSON, KANSAS:
Section 1. Amendment of Code section 10-3. From and after the effective date of this Ordinance, existing Code Section 10-3 is hereby deleted in its entirety and in its place, the following is inserted:
Sec. 10-3 - Livestock.
It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, harbor, or pasture or graze any swine, horses, cattle, mules, sheep or other livestock within the City except:
(1) for the provisions for such livestock’s care by a licensed veterinarian at the veterinarian’s clinic or animal hospital;
(2) except on tracts of two (2) acres or more which are zoned for agricultural purposes; or
(3) except at an organized sale or auction facility for the purposes of sale thereat, provided such facility is duly registered for such sales pursuant to the Kansas Statutes and thereby subject to the control of the Kansas Livestock Commissioner; or
( 4) for the transporting of any animals through the City by ordinary, customary means; or
(5) when displaying of the animals in the City is done in conjunction with a program or event approved of the City of McPherson, Kansas; or
(6) a sponsoring organization utilizes the fairgrounds or other similar public facilities for a specific event. Any such display shall not exceed five consecutive days and the sponsoring organization must provide for liability insurance in a sufficient amount to protect the City of McPherson and its citizens. The sponsoring organization shall provide for the housekeeping and cleanliness of the display area. An animal so-harbored may be kept overnight on such fairground.
Section 2. Repeal. All or parts of the Code conflicting with the provisions of this Ordinance are hereby repealed.
Section 3. Publication and Effective Date. This ordinance shall take effect and be in full force and effect from and after its passage, signature and publication of the ordinance on the official city website.
ADOPTED by the governing body this 13th day of July, 2020.