8A Brief Overview
The City of McPherson Building Inspections Department works with contractors and homeowners to ensure that new construction, remodeled structures, additions to existing structures, or any other modification to a building or structure within the City’s jurisdiction is constructed in compliance with local, state, and national laws, ordinances, and codes.
The ultimate goal is to ensure that all structures: are safe for habitation; have a healthy environment; use only approved materials; are not a hindrance or threat to life in the intended use. This is accomplished through plan review, material specification review, and site inspections at various stages of the construction process.
Functions of the Building Inspection Department
- Ensuring that contractors are qualified to perform the construction within the City’s jurisdiction through the Contractor Licensing Program
- Plan review for code compliance
- Ensuring that buildings are constructed according to approved plans
- Site inspections at various stages during the construction process for orderly and proper construction using approved means and methods
- Regular reviews of the current codes and ordinances.
- Building Permits
- Demolition Permits
- Permits for Fireworks Stands
- Permits for temporary structures
Currently Adopted Codes
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2017 National Electric Code
- 2010 American National Standard Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities