Under the direction of Fire Chief TJ Wyssmann, the McPherson Fire Department provides fire suppression and medical response to the City of McPherson, King City, McPherson Townships and part of the New Gottland Township. This is approximately 90 square miles of coverage that protects more than 14,000 citizens.
The McPherson Fire Department is one of ten fire districts in the county and is staffed with a combination of career firefighters and volunteers. The other nine departments in the county are staffed with highly qualified volunteers. We have mutual aid agreements with these departments, which expands our fire coverage to approximately 900 square miles.
The McPherson Fire Department is an All Hazards Fire Department, which means our organization is available and prepared for every hazard including trench rescue, hazardous materials, confined space, building collapse, rope rescue, fire extinguishment, swift water and vehicle extraction.
On average the McPherson Fire Department responds to around 1225 emergency calls per year. Approximately 13 percent of those calls are fire-related incidents. The remaining 87 percent of calls include, but are not limited to, incidents such as rescue and emergency medical services, vehicle accidents, hazardous conditions, and service calls.
Courage, Faith, Honor, Sacrifice
The four pillars that form the foundation of McPherson Fire Department are Courage, Faith, Honor and Sacrifice. Courage to perform our duties. Faithful to the service of our Community. Honor our responsibilities. Sacrifice to meet the needs of the Community.